This award arises from a benefaction to the Society in memory of Dr Howard Eggins who served the Society for many years first as Hon. General Secretary and then as Treasurer. The Howard Eggins Award is given to early career researchers (either post-graduate students, or postdoctoral researchers within 2 years of gaining their PhD), who present the most outstanding talk or poster at the BMS Annual Scientific Meeting.
The winner and two runners up are chosen in the Best Talk and Best Poster categories, and the following awards are made: 1st Prize: £100; 2nd Prize: £50; 3rd Prize: £25. All winners also receive a year's free BMS membership.
Howard Eggins Award for Early Career Mycologists - Posters
Awarded to the best posters presented by early career mycologists at the BMS Annual Scientific Meeting 2023.
- 1st: Sarah Vielreicher (Leibniz - HKI)
- 2nd: Aybuke Kilic (Newcastle University)
- 3rd: Joseph Violet (University of Nottingham)
Pictured left to right: Jospeh; Janet Quinn (BMS President); Aybuke; Ilse Jacobsen (accepting the award on behalf of Sarah).
Howard Eggins Award for Early Career Mycologists - Talks
Awarded to the best presentations given by early career mycologists at the BMS Annual Scientific Meeting 2023.
- 1st: Amelia Clark (Imperial College London)
- 2nd: Juwon Samuel Afolayan (Nottingham Trent University)
- 3rd: Emma Agnew (MRC Centre for Medical Mycology/University of Exeter)
Pictured left to right: Juwon; Janet Quinn (BMS President); Emma; Amelia.