Diversity and equality policy
Our statement of commitment:
"The BMS is committed to the Equality Act 2010 by embracing diversity and promoting equality of opportunity. As a charity and employer we are also committed to equality and valuing diversity within our membership and workforce. Our goal is to ensure that these commitments are embedded in our day to day working practices with all our customers, colleagues and partners."
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on grounds of gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, religion, age, disability, HIV positivity, working pattern, caring responsibilities, trade union activity or political beliefs – or any other grounds.
We will demonstrate our commitment by:
- promoting equality of opportunity and diversity within the communities in which we work
- do this by encouraging recruitment from groups currently under represented in the society
- treating our members, colleagues and partners fairly and with respect
- promoting an environment free from discrimination, bullying and harassment, and tackling behaviour which breaches this;
- recognising and valuing the differences and individual contribution that people make
- providing support and encouragement to members to increase their contribution to the organisation through the enhancement of their skills and abilities;
Every member within the society has a personal responsibility for implementing and promoting these principles with each other and with partners. Inappropriate behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated by the BMS.
Professor Janet Quinn