Fungi for Beginners
Satuday 24th and Sunday 25th September 2016
The course is structured so that each day can be attended in isolation at £45 per person per day.
Attend both days for only £80.
Saturday September 24th
1. Review of books and websites
2. Introduction to fungi
3. Ascomycetes and Basidiomycetes
4. Major families of the Basidiomycetes
5. Foray to the Delta Sanctuary at Attenborough
6. Display of material collected and attempt by participants to place specimens in the correct family, genus or even species!
Sunday September 25th
1. Meet at Foxcovert Plantation for a Fungal Foray then travel back to Attenborough
2. Lay out and classify collected specimens
3. Edible and poisonous fungi
4. Fungal folklore
5. Some common Ascomycete fungi
A two day course covering the biology and identification of fungi, the folklore surrounding them and how to classify edible and poisonous mushrooms. Includes two forays at Attenborough Nature Reserve and Foxcovert Plantation Nature Reserves.
Own transport required to Foxcovert Plantation. The wood is situated about half a mile east of Burntstump Country Park on the A614 (SK587505). From the A614, follow the B6386 towards Oxton and take the first left onto Gravelly Hollow, just past Patchings Farm Arts Centre. This is signposted as a dead end or ‘road ahead closed.’ The reserve can be accessed from the Forestry Commission car park off the road or cars can be parked at the end of the road adjacent to the A614.
Leader: Dr Patrick Harding
Includes refreshments, lunch and FSC ID Chart
Further information can be found at the link below.