Assiut University Mycological Centre (AUMC)
Organizes the 19th Workshop on:
”Fungi and their enzymatic role in the biodegradation of natural and Synthetic
March, 13 – 17, 2016
Under the Auspices of Prof. Ahmed A. Geies (President of Assiut University)
Assiut University, Assiut-71526,Egypt
The workshop will comprise lectures and practical sessions covering the following topics:
First: Natural Polymers:
a– Types: Cellulose – Hemicellulose – Lignin – chitin Starch – Pectin – Protein (Keratin).
b- Chemical composition, degradation enzymes and deg-radation pathways.
Second: Synthetic Polymers:
a- Types and chemical composition:Polyethylene – Polyvinyl alcohol – Polyester – Starch/ Polyvinyl alcohol (Blend)- Starch/ Polyester (Blend).
b- Environmental problems:Accumulation because of their resistance to biodegra-dation so that they become a global problem.
c- Factors enhancing their biodegradability:
1. Abiotic oxidation by exposing them to heat or sun-light.
2. Production of biodegradable blends by mixing them with ferric, manganese or cobalt stearates.
3. Production of starch / polymer blend.
d- Measure of degree of biodegradability:
1. Use of scanning and transmission electron micro-scopes.
2. Determination of dry weight.
3. Use of Fourier Transforms – Infra Red Spectrosco-py (FT-IR).
4. Changes in the mechanical properties (Tensile strength).
e- Role of Fungi and their enzymes in biodegradation of natural and synthetic polymers:
Third: Practical Studies on Fungi involved in Bio-degradability:
1. Morphological and microscopial features of certain species of the following genera:
Aspergillus, Penicillium, Paecilomyces, Cladosporium, Fusarium, Chaetomium, Geotrichum, Aureobasidium, Thielavia, Candida, Pleurotus, etc.,
2. Detection of enzymes involved in biodegradation and quantitative estimation of their activities.
1– 500 LE for participants from Assiut University (including publications).
2– 1200 LE for participants from other Egyptian Uni-versities and Research Centres (including accommodation and publications).
3– 600 US $ for participants from other countries (including accommodation and publications).
Contact: Prof. Abdel-Aal H. Moubasher
Tel & Fax No.: 002 088 2080153
Mobile: 002 01223598670
Applications and Cheques to be sent to:
Professor A. H. Moubasher
Director of the AUMC