Details of how to join the BMS or contact the Office along with details about the Society’s Constitution, Committees and Grants can be found here
Representing academic research across the fields of medical mycology, plant pathogenesis, fungal ecology and biotechnology
Raising awareness of fungi and fungal science at all levels though public engagement and the provision of educational resources
Go on BMS field trips, join local fungus groups, or learn about the Society’s Conservation work
Downloads of various BMS documents, Identification Keys, English names of fungi and details of Mycological Events and News are available here
BMS Mission Statement
To promote fungal science internationally
The Society’s Objectives are to:
- Encourage those interested in fungi and related organisms to join the Society and to take part in our events, whether in a professional or amateur capacity
- Promote the recognition of fungal science in the UK and internationally
- Support and grow the key areas of Society activity to promote further understanding of fungal science and to inspire future generations of mycologists
- Support the Society’s academic publications and other resources on fungal biology for the international community
- Organise conferences, workshops and other activities supporting mycology
- Promote networking across the fungal science community and maintain strong links with other relevant national and international learned societies and organizations
- Ensure that the Society’s resources are utilised effectively to further fungal science
British Society for Plant Pathology conference: ‘Our Plants, Our Future’ Research
The Royal Society, Carlton House Terrace, London
BSPP meetings and Covid 19
Like many other societies, we’re faced with a number of difficult choices concerning Covid-19. The immediate decisions we need to make are whether to go ahead with Our Plants, Our Future (OPOF) at the end of April, and the Write Now! workshop in the second week of April. Click on the 'show more information' to find out more.
BSPP meetings and Covid 19
Like many other societies, we’re faced with a number of difficult choices concerning Covid-19. The immediate decisions we need to make are whether to go ahead with Our Plants, Our Future (OPOF) at the end of April, and the Write Now! workshop in the second week of April.
We are closely following and will be guided by government policy and Public Health England recommendations on Covid-19. None of the current guidelines preclude holding the meetings. The Royal Society continues to host meetings.
We also have to take into account that individual organisations are imposing restrictions on staff movements and interactions with colleagues, based on their own risk assessments. These measures have already caused one group of registered participants to withdraw from OPOF. We believe that others will follow suit and that those considering attendance will be increasingly reluctant to do so.
We have therefore decided to postpone OPOF to later in this financial year, as permitted by The Royal Society. Our financial commitments remain. We will announce a new date for OPOF as soon as possible, taking into account availability at The Royal Society and other events in the scientific calendar. All existing registrations and invitations remain valid and will be carried forward.
The Write Now! workshop is a much smaller meeting and will be held in a remote area of rural Kent. We still plan to hold this event, subject to any government restrictions. We will also consult participants before making a final decision on whether to go ahead. We expect to make this decision in the next few days.
Eric Boa, on behalf of the BSPP board
13 March 2020
Future BMS Events
Spring Field Meeting Field
Didcot Civic Hall, Britwell Road, Didcot, OX11 7JN
Due to the current issues with the Coronavirus, this event has now been cancelled.
Venue: Didcot Civic Centre, Britwell Road, Didcot, OX11 7JN
Dates: Mon 20th April to Sun 26th April
Due to recent problems with the Coronavirus and the need to self isolate, this event has been cancelled.